Fried Oreos are one of my all time favorite festival foods. What most people don’t realize though is just how easy they are to make at home. All it takes is five ingredients — plus some powdered sugar to top the Oreos with when they’re done in the fryer — and about 15 minutes of your time.
So, if you can’t make it out to the fair just follow this super easy recipe and you’ll be enjoying deep fried Oreos in no time!
- Pancake mix
- Vegetable oil
- Powdered sugar
How to make fried Oreos:
- Heat oil in deep fryer or heavy skillet to 375°F.
- In a bowl, combine pancake mix, milk, egg and vegetable oil and stir to combine.
- One by one dip the Oreos in the batter, lift them with a fork and transfer them to the oil.
- Fry in batches for 2 minutes or until golden brown.
- Drain fried Oreos on paper towels and top with powdered sugar.
Which type of Oreo cookies should I use?
I’d skip the regular Oreos on this one and just go straight for the Double Stuf or even the Mega Stuf Oreos if you want an even ratio of cookie to filling. I’m not sure exactly when Oreo stopped adding so much crème filling to their cookies, but the Double Stuf and Mega Stuf Oreos now seem like they have about as much filling as regular Oreos did when I was a kid.
I’d also pass on using Oreo Thins to make fried Oreos because let’s be honest, if you’re already battering and deep frying a bunch of cookies do you really care about a few extra calories?
Can I make fried Oreos without a deep fryer?
Absolutely! If you don’t have a deep fryer just fill a heavy skillet with a few inches of oil and you can fry the Oreos right on your stovetop!
Can I make fried Oreos in an air fryer?
You can, but I wouldn’t recommend it. As I mentioned above, a heavy skillet is the perfect alternative to a deep fryer. If neither of those are an option though and you’d like to try frying Oreos in an air fryer I’d probably add an extra 1/4 cup to a 1/2 cup of pancake mix to the batter just to make it a little thicker.
Temperature and timing-wise I’d air fry the Oreos for about 6 minutes at 375°F. I will warn you though, they won’t be anywhere near as good….
In addition, be sure to line your air fryer basket with parchment paper or you’re going to have a pretty big mess on your hands. Seriously though, between the extra time it would take to air fry them, the subpar finished product and the extra mess I probably wouldn’t even bother.
How long do deep fried Oreos last?
Fried Oreos taste best shortly after you remove them from the fryer. After sitting around for a while the breading starts to soften and gets almost a bit rubbery. They can be stored in a refrigerator for up to 3 days and re-heated in an oven or air fryer, but with how quick and simple they are to make, it’s a lot easier just to make a fresh batch whenever you want some.
Tips for making fried Oreos at home:
- Skip the regular Oreos and go straight for the Double Stuf or Mega Stuf Oreos.
- Make sure your batter is thick enough. If it’s dripping straight off your cookies continue adding pancake mix 1 tablespoon at a time until you reach your desired thickness.
- Make sure your oil is hot enough. If it’s too cool the fried Oreos will soak up oil as they cook and won’t taste anywhere near as good.
For more fair foods you can make at home check out:
- Corn Dogs
- Deep Fried Candy Bars
- Deep Fried S’mores
- Deep Fried Ice Cream
- Deep Fried Ham & Cheese Balls
Fried Oreos Recipe
- 2 quarts oil for frying
- 15 Oreo cookies
- 1 1/2 cups pancake mix
- 1 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- powdered sugar
Heat oil in deep fryer or heavy skillet to 375°F.
In a bowl, combine pancake mix, milk, egg and vegetable oil and stir to combine.
One by one dip the Oreos in the batter, lift them with a fork and transfer them to the oil.
Fry in batches for 2 minutes or until golden brown.
Drain fried Oreos on paper towels and top with powdered sugar.