That’s why when El Yucateco asked me to create a recipe using one of their hot sauces and I saw that they had a Caribbean Habanero flavor I knew that I needed to try it.
As I’ve also mentioned numerous times in the past, I’m a bit of a wuss when it comes to spicy foods, so I also knew that I’d have to come up with a recipe that could mix in some sweetness along with the spice. Since our summers here in Wisconsin are fairly short I always try to spend as much time grilling in my backyard as I can so I wanted it to be grill-centric as well.
Although I didn’t have any burgers while I was in the Caribbean I did eat tons of pork, lots of amazing shrimp and some really great mango and avocado fruit salad, and paired with El Yucateco’s Caribbean Habanero Hot Sauce that’s what was the inspiration behind these Caribbean-Inspired Pork Sliders that would be perfect for any type of get-together or backyard celebration.
I started off by combing a couple teaspoons of hot sauce right in with the ground pork prior to forming them into burger patties. If you like your food a little spicier than I do though — which is probably 99% of you — you can obviously add more. Then, to top the burgers I diced up an avocado, a mango, some red and green onion and cilantro and combined that with some shrimp that I sautéed in even more El Yucateco Caribbean Habanero Hot Sauce.
As I sat on my patio enjoying my sliders I was grateful that it wasn’t as ungodly hot and humid in my backyard as it was when I was in the Caribbean, but even more grateful that I was once again experiencing those delicious Caribbean flavors!
If you want to try these Caribbean-Inspired Pork Sliders for yourself the recipe is below. And, since the recipe is nice and simple that means you’ve also got plenty of time to click the image to the left and enter El Yucateco’s Go Native Summer Celebration Sweepstakes, where they’re celebrating #FiftyYearsOfFlavor by giving away five weekly prize packs that include a waterproof speaker, cooler, apron, t-shirt and bottles of hot sauce.
There will also be two grand prize winners who will each receive a 26” Kent Dual Drive Tandem Comfort Bike, a North Atlantic Imports 1555 Tailgater Grill, an inflatable floating island, a pop-up canopy tent, a 54-quart party cooler with built-in Bluetooth speakers as well as a whole slew of El Yucateco swag! All in all that’s a $1,250 value! Good luck!
- 1 bottle El Yucateco Caribbean Habanero Hot Sauce
- 2 pounds ground pork
- 10 slider buns
- 20 shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1½ tablespoons lime juice
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- ½ tablespoon sugar
- 1 avocado, diced
- 1 mango, diced
- ¼ red onion, diced
- ¼ cup green onion, sliced
- ¼ cup cilantro, chopped
- Mix ground pork with 2 teaspoons El Yucateco Caribbean Habanero Hot Sauce and form into ten equal-sized burger patties.
- Heat two teaspoons of El Yucateco Caribbean Habanero Hot Sauce in a skillet over high heat.
- Add the shrimp and cook for 4 minutes or until shrimp are pink and opaque.
- Whisk together lime juice, vegetable oil and sugar in a large bowl until sugar is dissolved.
- Add avocado, mango, red onion, green onion, cilantro and shrimp to the bowl and mix well.
- Grill ground pork patties for 4 – 5 minutes per side or until the internet temperature reaches 160º.
- Place ground pork patties on buns and top with avocado, mango and shrimp mixture.