Do you know what I hate the most about grocery shopping? No matter how many times I visit the exact same store I can still never find what I’m looking for. It’s just an all around huge waste of time. That’s why when Shipt asked me if I wanted to try out their grocery delivery service for free I jumped at the opportunity.
The way Shipt works is a little different from places like Pedpod. Instead of sourcing everything from suppliers themselves they work with brick and mortar grocery stores in your area (here in Milwaukee for example they work with Meijer), which means that instead of having to wait a day or more for a delivery you can have your groceries delivered in as little as an hour. Also, having tried out Peapod in the past I can tell you that the prices you pay through Shipt are also way cheaper.
The fact that you can get groceries delivered in as little as an hour is absolutely perfect for someone like me who never plans ahead. Take the other night for example, my wife and I both got home from work around 4:30, had absolutely nothing at all in the refrigerator for dinner, but instead of having to run to the store I simply opened up the Shipt app and ordered some steaks and chicken breasts for us to throw on the grill while we took our dogs for a walk. Once we were done I fired up the grill, cracked open a beer and 15 minutes later our groceries were there! I’ve only been using Shipt for a couple weeks and the amount of time it’s already saved me is insane.
The absolute best part of all though? Since the Meijer location that’s closest to my house is open 24 hours a day that means Shipt also delivers groceries from them 24 hours a day! This came in handy last weekend when my buddies and I were out last Friday night at a bar near my house. The bar doesn’t serve food and by the time 1am hit we were starving, so I opened up the Shipt app, ordered some frozen pizzas and Pizza Rolls and once the bar closed at 2am we headed back to my place and shortly after that the pizzas arrived. I even had Shipt deliver some groceries so I could make breakfast the next morning for my wife as well!
For my first Shipt order though I got ground beef, bacon, cheese, lettuce and tomato, macaroni noodles and milk. Why? So I could create this ridiculous Bacon Wrapped Macaroni and Cheese Bun Cheeseburger! The idea is basically a combination of the Bacon Wrapped Cheese Curd Bun Cheeseburger that I made last summer and the Deep Fried Bacon Wrapped Macaroni and Cheese Balls I made back in February.
So which bacon wrapped bun is better, the one stuffed with cheese curds or the one packed with macaroni and cheese? Honestly, they’re both pretty amazing. I think the only logical solution to this is that I need to make some sort of Big Mac type burger with a middle bun that has both types of buns. No idea how I’d actually be able to fit the entire thing into my mouth but I can always figure out the logistics later….
If you want to try Shipt for yourself you can click here for a free two week trial and $10 off your first order. Aside from that though the regular price is $14 a month if you pay monthly or $8.25 a month (which also comes with $25 in free groceries) if you sign up for the yearly plan.
- 2 quarts oil for frying
- 16 ounces pasta
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 3½ cups milk
- 4 cups (16 ounces) shredded Cheddar cheese
- 30 slices bacon
- 1 pound ground beef
- 4 slices Cheddar cheese
- 1 tomato
- Cook pasta according to the directions on the package.
- In a separate pan, melt butter over medium heat and stir in 3 tablespoons flour.
- Add 3 cups milk and reduce heat to low.
- Stir in cheese slowly until melted and pour over cooked pasta.
- Heat oil in deep fryer or heavy skillet to 375°F.
- Place 5 bacon strips across the bottom of a mini springform pan in a criss-cross fashion, leaving no open spaces.
- Fill the pan with macaroni and cheese and fold the bacon slices over the top of the macaroni and cheese, Remove from pan and repeat the process with the remaining bacon and macaroni and cheese.
- Fry bacon-wrapped macaroni and cheese buns for 2 minutes each or until the bacon is cooked through and then drain on paper towels.
- Form the ground beef into 3 separate patties and grill until they reach your desired level of doneness.
- Top each burger patty with a Cheddar slice and serve with lettuce, tomato or other desired toppings between two bacon-wrapped macaroni and cheese buns.