Recently I partnered with two Wisconsin companies, Pick ‘n Save and Johnsonville to create a series of over-the-top Gameday Grub videos celebrating everything we love about Wisconsin. The videos star Green Bay Packers super fan, Randy, who spends his game days exiled to his basement by his wife Denise so he doesn’t ruin their kitchen cooking his crazy DudeFoods-esque recipes.
In the past five weeks we’ve featured an Andouille Mac & Cheese Pie with a Bacon Weave Crust, Brown Gravy and Cheese Curd-Smothered Brat Sticks, Scrambled Egg and French Toast Breakfast Sausage Shooters, a Spicy Salad Sandwich with Cheese-Curl Encrusted Sausage Buns and Deep-Fried Spaghetti Dogs on a Stick.
For the sixth and final recipe, we did something similar to the last one in that we took something you normally wouldn’t consider a gameday food — in this case it was chicken and waffles — and made them portable.
I’ve always loved how well chicken and waffles go together, but anytime you see them served together, all you ever get is a pile of waffles topped with fried chicken. To me that just completely lacks creativity. What is great about these Waffle-Fried Chicken Strips is that you can get a little bit of chicken and a little bit of waffle in each bite. Then to kick up the flavor a little, we also added some Johnsonville summer sausage bits.
If you’d like to make these Three-Foot-Long Waffle-Fried Chicken Strips with Summer Sausage Bits for yourself, the recipe is below! Enjoy!
- 6 ounces Johnsonville Summer Sausage
- 6 Breaded chicken strips
- 6 Corn dog sticks (or chopsticks) or one 3 foot long kabob stick if you want to really be cool like Randy from the video
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup milk
- ½ cup water
- 2½ cups flour
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- Powdered sugar
- Maple syrup
- Cook chicken strips according to the directions on the package.
- For the waffle batter combine eggs, milk, water, vanilla extract, sugar, vegetable oil and diced Johnsonville Summer Sausage.
- One by one dip the cooked chicken strips into the waffle batter, place in waffle iron, top with another spoonful of waffle batter and cook until golden brown.
- Insert kabob stick (or sticks) into waffle breaded chicken tenders, top with powdered sugar and drizzle with maple syrup.