Recently I partnered with two Wisconsin companies, Pick ‘n Save and Johnsonville to create a series of over-the-top Gameday Grub videos celebrating everything we love about Wisconsin. The videos star Green Bay Packers super fan, Randy, who spends his game days exiled to his basement by his wife Denise so he doesn’t ruin their kitchen cooking his crazy DudeFoods-esque recipes.
In the past four weeks we’ve featured an Andouille Mac & Cheese Pie with a Bacon Weave Crust, Brown Gravy and Cheese Curd-Smothered Brat Sticks, Scrambled Egg and French Toast Breakfast Sausage Shooters and a Spicy Salad Sandwich with Cheese-Curl Encrusted Sausage Buns.
For the fifth recipe, we took spaghetti, which is something I’m sure almost no one would consider a gameday food, and made it portable so it’s perfect for tailgating or even just hanging in your basement man cave watching the game like Randy.
So how do you take a meal that’s universally eaten with a fork and make it hand-held? Easy! You cook up some Johnsonville Red Wine & Cheese Italian Sausages, put them on sticks like you would with corn dogs, wrap cooked spaghetti noodles around them, bread them in Italian-style breadcrumbs and deep-fry them! Suddenly you have your spaghetti and sausage in one hand and your second hand is completely free to hold your beverage of choice!
If you’d like to make these Deep Fried Spaghetti Dogs on a Stick for yourself, the recipe is below! Enjoy!
- 6 Johnsonville Red Wine & Cheese Italian Sausages
- 2 quarts oil for frying
- 6 Corn dog sticks (or chopsticks)
- One package (8 ounces) spaghetti noodles
- 1½ cups flour
- 4 eggs
- ½ cup milk
- 2 cups Italian-style breadcrumbs
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese
- Marinara or your preferred dipping sauce
- Cook Johnsonville Red Wine & Cheese Italian Sausage according to the directions on the package.
- Cook spaghetti noodles according to the directions on the package and drain.
- Insert a corn dog stick into and wrap spaghetti noodles around each Italian sausage.
- Set up a dredging station with three bowls – flour in the first, beaten eggs and milk in the second and breadcrumbs in the third.
- Coat each Italian sausage in flour, dip in egg wash and cover in breadcrumbs.
- Deep fry at 375° for 2 minutes or until golden brown and then cover with grated Parmesan cheese while still warm.
- Serve with marinara or your preferred dipping sauce.