Today is National Corn Dog Day so I’ve been racking my brain trying to come up with some sort of crazy corn dog I could make to celebrate my new favorite holiday. I was running a couple ideas past my buddy Jeff when he suggested making a corn dog that alternates chopped up hot dogs and pieces of cheese together on one stick.
Then I remembered that back when I made my Racing Sausages Corn Dog a DudeFoods reader actually mentioned that same exact thing. At the time I added the idea to my huge list foods I want to try creating and then promptly forgot about it for the past year and a half….
Well, I’m lucky that I had National Corn Dog Day — and Jeff — to jog my memory because these Cheesy Corn Dogs are great! I mean, why wouldn’t they be right? Adding cheese to anything always makes it better and it definitely isn’t any different when it comes to corn dogs.
So we’ve already established that these Cheesy Corn Dogs taste amazing, but do you want to know how to get them to look amazing as well? The trick is to use pieces of cheese that have the exact same diameter as hot dogs. That way when you dip the corn dogs into the batter it runs off smooth and you get a nice even cook when you drop them in the deep fryer.
My original plan was just to cut pieces of cheese from a block of Cheddar, but then it dawned on me that string cheese would be perfect for this. It got even better when I discovered string cheese that combines both mozzarella and Cheddar in each stick. Hot dogs, a crispy golden breading, two different types of cheese, what’s not to love!?
I then followed up my corn dog feast by drinking a bunch of Pepto-Bismol because apparently eating six corn dogs first thing in the morning is a pretty surefire way to cause an upset stomach.
So, if like me you love overindulging when it comes to complete unnecessary food holidays just make sure you’re also got some Pepto-Bismol handy to cure all of your 5 symptoms! If you don’t have any then you can click here for a $1 off printable coupon.
- 2 quarts oil for frying
- 6 corn dog sticks (or chopsticks if you can’t find corn dog sticks)
- 3 hot dogs
- 3 pieces of string cheese
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup flour
- ¼ cup sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon pepper
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 egg
- 1 cup milk
- Ketchup, mustard or your preferred corn dog accompaniment.
- Heat oil in deep fryer or heavy skillet to 375°F.
- Chop each hot dog and each piece of string cheese into 5 equally sized pieces.
- In a bowl, combine cornmeal, flour, sugar, salt, pepper and baking powder. Stir in eggs and milk.
- Take corn dog sticks and slide five total alternating pieces of hot dog and cheese onto each one.
- Transfer corn dog batter to a tall glass and dip the corn dogs one by one into the batter.
- Fry corn dogs in batches for 3 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Drain on paper towels and serve with ketchup, mustard or your preferred corn dog accompaniment.
Disclosure: Pepto-Bismol partnered with bloggers, such as me, to get the word out about its great product benefits. As part of this program, I received compensation for my time. Pepto-Bismol believes that consumers and bloggers are free to form their own opinions and share them in their own words. Pepto-Bismol’s policies align with WOMMA Ethics Code, Federal Trade Commission (FTC) guidelines and social media engagement recommendations.