For the past two years I’ve been working with Smithfield to create recipes using their various pork products. In case you’ve missed them you can click here to check out all the different dishes I’ve come up with thus far. Well, I’m happy to report that they’ve invited me back for a third year!
For the first one they shipped me their Boneless Pork Shoulder Seasoned Carnitas, which I decided to use to make some breakfast tortas.
What’s great about this recipe is that you can either follow it and do the breakfast for dinner thing — which I’m a huge fan of — or you could just make the carnitas one night — perhaps as part of this Carnitas Tamale Pie — and use the leftovers the following morning for my Carnitas Breakfast Tortas. Just a warning if you plan to go the leftovers route though — these carnitas are pretty damn good and once you taste them the chances of you actually having any left will be slim to none. You’ve been warned….
It’s not only their Boneless Pork Shoulder Seasoned Carnitas that taste great though, it’s their entire line of Marinated Fresh Pork, and on top of that it’s available in a huge variety of flavors such as Roasted Garlic & Cracked Black Pepper, Slow Roasted Golden Rotisserie, or Applewood Smoked Bacon. The only thing that rivals the number of different flavors they offer is the huge list of different fresh cuts of pork they sell — everything from roasts to loin filets to sirloins to tenderloins, The best part of all though? Since all the prep work is already done you can have a great meal on the table in about 30 minutes or less!
Have you got a great tip on how you get your dinner ready in 30 minutes or less using Smithfield Marinated Fresh Pork? Then you’re going to want to enter their Real Flavor, Real Fast Contest for a chance to win a trip to Wine Country — including roundtrip airfare for two to San Francisco, two nigh premium hotel accommodation in Napa Valley, two VIP passes for tours and tastings at two premium Napa wineries, lunch for two on the Napa Valley wine train, a $500 dining credit and a $300 transportation credit — or one of hundreds of other great prizes! Even if you don’t have a tip or trick of your own you can still vote for your favorite for a chance to win a $25 Visa gift card!
Not a fan of carnitas? No problem! Maybe Smithfield’s recipe for Roasted Garlic & Herb Pork and Onion Po’ Boys is more your thing, but if not you you can always check out the recipes section of Smithfield.com where you’re pretty much guaranteed to find something you like!
- 1 package Smithfield Boneless Pork Shoulder Seasoned Carnitas
- 6 bolillo rolls
- 2 (16 oz) cans refried beans
- 6 large eggs
- 3 avocados
- 3 cups shredded iceberg lettuce
- 2 tomatoes
- 1 cup Cotija cheese
- Prepare Smithfield Boneless Pork Shoulder Seasoned Carnitas in your slow cooker according to the directions on the package and shred with a fork.
- Fry eggs in a pan on your stovetop.
- Slice bolillo rolls in half and top each bottom half with equal parts refried beans, Cotija cheese, sliced tomato, lettuce, shredded Smithfield Boneless Pork Shoulder Seasoned Carnitas and a fried egg.
- Slice avocados in half, remove the pits and spread half an avocado on the cut side of each top roll and place on the tops of your sandwiches.