Since I’m normally just a whiskey and Coke guy it’s been pretty fun so far getting out of my comfort zone and experimenting with some new drink ideas, and I’m pretty excited to see what I come up with over the next five months.
If you guys have any suggestions for any unique whiskey-based drinks that you love make sure you send them my way because I’d definitely love to try them!
This Hot Whiskey Apple Cider — made with Southern Comfort Black — can be served cold as well, but seeing as how we’re in the middle of winter and it’s currently 10 degrees and snowing here in Wisconsin as I write this I opted for the warmer version.
Even if you plan to drink this chilled you’re still going to want to boil the apple cider with the whole cloves, cinnamon sticks and star anise because that’s what really gives this drink its flavor. After you strain it though you can always chill it in your refrigerator until you’re ready to mix it with your Southern Comfort.
- 8 ounces Southern Comfort
- 4 cups apple cider
- 4 tablespoons orange juice
- 3 whole cloves
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1 star anise
- Combine apple cider, orange juice, whole cloves, cinnamon sticks and star anise in a small pot.
- Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer for 10 minutes and then strain.
- Add 2 ounces Southern Comfort to each glass and fill the remainder of the glass with warm apple cider.