For the past three years I’ve been working with Smithfield to create recipes using their various Marinated Fresh Pork products. In case you’ve missed them you can click here to check out all the different dishes I’ve come up with thus far. Well, I’m super psyched to report that they’ve invited me back for a fourth year!
For my first recipe of 2018 they shipped me one of their Sweet & Smoky Marinated Fresh Pork Roasts, which I decided to toss into my slow cooker to turn into delicious pulled pork that I combined with homemade macaroni and cheese to make Pulled Pork and Macaroni and Cheese Egg Rolls!
After so many recipes of my own — plus all the ones you can find on Smithfield’s website — I keep getting worried that I’m going to run out of ideas, but luckily for me they offer a huge variety of fresh cuts including pork roasts, ribs, chops, sirloins and tenderloins that can be slow-cooked, grilled, roasted or sautéed.
The other thing I love about Smithfield Marinated Fresh Pork is that since it comes seasoned and marinated all the prep work is already done for you. Aside from putting the Sweet & Smoky Marinated Fresh Pork Roast in my slow cooker and adding half a cup of water there wasn’t a single other thing I had to do besides relax as the smell of fresh pulled pork started wafting through the air in my kitchen.
Once my pulled pork was done I whipped up some macaroni and cheese, fired up my deep fryer — Ok, I guess I didn’t technically “fire it up,” I just plugged it in — and one by one I rolled up the Pulled Pork and Macaroni and Cheese Egg Rolls and dropped them into the 375° deep fryer oil. Now, for as much as I love pulled pork on its own and macaroni and cheese on its own, the combination of both of them inside a crispy, golden brown egg roll wrapper somehow made me enjoy them even more!
How do you enjoy your fresh pork? If you’ve got a go-to beef or chicken recipe that you’ve found tastes better with fresh pork instead, Smithfield wants you to share it with them. What’s even better is that they’re offering a chance to win $5,000 as well as hundreds in other great prizes to those of you who want to “shake up” your cooking routines! Just head over to Smithfield.com/ShakeItUp for all the details! You’ve got until April 8th to enter! Good luck!
- One Smithfield Sweet & Smoky Marinated Fresh Pork Roast
- 2 quarts oil for frying
- 16 ounces pasta
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 3 cups milk
- 4 cups (16 ounces) shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1 package egg roll wrappers
- BBQ or your preferred dipping sauce
- Cook Smithfield Sweet & Smoky Marinated Fresh Pork Roast in your slow cooker according to the directions on the package — 7 to 9 hours on low or 3 to 5 hours on high.
- Use tongs or 2 forks to shred pork in slow cooker and mix with juices.
- Cook pasta according to the directions on the package.
- In a saucepan, melt butter over medium heat and stir in 3 tablespoons flour.
- Add 3 cups milk and reduce heat to low.
- Stir in cheese slowly until melted and pour over cooked pasta.
- Heat oil in deep fryer or heavy skillet to 375°F.
- Lay out an egg roll wrapper with one of the edges pointing towards you.
- Place approximately ⅓ cup of pulled pork and ⅓ cup of macaroni and cheese in the center of the egg roll wrapper and using your fingers wet all four edges. This will help the egg roll stay together after you roll it.
- Then, take the corner that’s pointing towards you and fold it up over the pulled pork and macaroni and cheese mixture, fold the left and right ends in and roll the egg roll up. If this explanation is a little hard to follow just check out the video above.
- Fry egg rolls in batches for approximately two minutes or until golden brown.
- Drain on paper towels and serve with BBQ or your preferred dipping sauce.