It’s funny, I probably have about 200 ideas saved in the notes app in my phone for things I want to make for this blog and then sometimes — like what happened with these Deep Fried Mozzarella Stuffed Pepperoni — I just open my refrigerator, spot a random food item — like a half empty package of pepperoni — come up with an idea on the spot and five minutes later I’m heating up the oil in my deep fryer. You know I’m always looking for an excuse to use my deep fryer!
Not only do these taste amazing, but they’re also super simple to make. I basically just took slices of mozzarella cheese, cut four circles out of each one — I used a metal baking cone that I had for this, but tracing around a shot glass with a knife would also work just as well — and then stuffed the cheese between pepperoni before coating them in flour, dipping them in an egg wash and covering them with breadcrumbs. After that all it takes is a 90 second bath in a deep fryer and your Deep Fried Mozzarella Stuffed Pepperoni will be ready to eat!
- 2 quarts oil for frying
- 8 slices mozzarella cheese
- 30 pepperoni
- 2 cups flour
- ½ cup milk
- 3 eggs
- 3 cups panko breadcrumbs
- Heat oil in deep fryer or heavy skillet to 375°F.
- Cut 4 circles of mozzarella — each one roughly the size and shape of a pepperoni — from each slice of cheese until you have a total of 30 circles of mozzarella.
- Place two circles of cheese between every two pepperoni.
- Combine milk and eggs in bowl and whisk until smooth.
- Coat each mozzarella stuffed pepperoni in flour, dip in egg wash and cover in panko breadcrumbs. Repeat this process again if necessary.
- Fry mozzarella stuffed pepperoni for 90 seconds or until the breading is golden brown.
- Drain on paper towels and serve with marinara or your preferred dipping sauce.